Twila Snead Commitment to Excellence Award
The Board of Trustees of Southeastern NY Library Resources Council has opened the nomination period for the 2017 award. This award is designed to recognize an outstanding member library, cultural heritage organization, program, service, or staff member.
The award is named in honor of Twila Snead, who was the Medical Library Manager at St. Luke’s Cornwall Hospital in Newburgh, NY for twenty years. Twila was recognized for her exemplary work as a committed, innovative, solo librarian and leader who served her own institution with distinction and generously shared her passion, knowledge and technological skills with colleagues and the wider library community. She was constantly learning, advocating for resources and services, developing her technological expertise, and thinking creatively about advocacy and outreach. Her demonstrated professional commitment, hard work, and dedication to continuous improvement established the framework that inspired this award for excellence in librarianship.
This award is for members of SENYLRC, including individuals at any staffing level, organizations or programs created by member organizations.
Individuals, organizations or programs must achieve excellence in one or more of the following:
- Leadership in the creation of a new or enhanced service model that can be emulated by other libraries or cultural organizations.
- Improvements in physical facilities that result in better services.
- Creation of an innovative program or collection that enhances the lives of the organization’s constituents.
- The development of a program that touches the lives of individuals who are otherwise underserved by their communities.
- Provision of a service to the community that is not available from any other library, archive, cultural heritage organization or library system, or that is outside the organization’s primary mission or the individual’s job description and benefited the community in which the organization resides.
The recipient(s) will receive a commemorative award at SENYLRC’s Annual Meeting with the winner’s name inscribed on a permanent award which will be displayed at SENYLRC headquarters. The recipient(s) will be invited to attend the Annual Meeting at no charge and, at their option, make a brief presentation.
The Nomination Process:
- A candidate, organization, or program may be nominated by a co-worker, an individual from the library profession who resides in the region, by a member of the community served by the organization, or can be self-nominated.
- Nominations will be reviewed by the SENYLRC Award Recognition Committee, consisting of the SENYLRC executive director, two members from the Board of Trustees representing different library types, and one SENYLRC staff member.
- Nomination forms will be available on senylrc.org.
- The award will be presented at the SENYLRC Annual Meeting in June.
- Nominations will be accepted until April 7, 2017.
- The SENYLRC Award Recognition Committee will make the announcement of the award in mid-May.
2016 Award Winner
Judy Capurso, SUNY Ulster
2015 Award Winner:
Rhonda L. Altonen, MLS, MS
2014 Award Winners:
FRANKLIN – Access to the FDR Library’s Digital Collections
Honorable Mention: Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection at Elting Memorial Library in New Paltz, NY